Oct 18, 2022
We're embarking on another set of reruns for a few weeks while the hosts use this time to evaluate the impact and future of KeyLIME. We hope to have some news soon, but in the meantime, we know you'll love this series of Method Consults by Dr. Lara Varpio.
As a PHD trained scientist working in the field, it is of Lara's opinion that her job is to help others gain the skills and expertise needed to engage in Health Professions Education scholarship and research.
In this consult, originally released in May 2018, Lara explores the topic of formal literature reviews.
A full transcript of this episode can be found here.
Cited & Additional Readings:
• McGaghie WC. Varieties of Integrative Scholarship: Why Rules of Evidence, Criteria, and Standards Matter. Academic Medicine. 2015; 90: 294-302.
• Thomas AT, S Lubarsky, SJ Durning, ME Young. Knowledge Syntheses in Medical Education: Demystifying Scoping Reviews. Academic Medicine. 2017;92: 161-166.
• Arksey, H, L O’Malley. Scoping Studies: Towards a Methodological Framework. International Journal of Social Research Methodology. 2005; 8(1): 19-32.
• Cook, DA, CP West. Conducting systematic reviews in medical education: A stepwise approach. Medical Education. 2012; 46(10): 943-952.
• Levac D, H Colquhoun, KK O’Brien. Scoping studies: Advancing the methodology. Implementation Science. 2010; 5:69.
Follow our co-hosts on Twitter!
Jason R. Frank: @
Jonathan Sherbino: @
Linda Snell: @
Lara Varpio: @LaraVarpio
Lara Varpio's Disclaimer: The views expressed in this manuscript are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the Uniformed Services University of the Unites States Department of Defense.
Want to learn more about KeyLIME? Click here!